Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Make your own body butter- beeswax lip balm- coconut oil deodorant

***UPDATE*** after the lotion is liquid, put in fridge until its soft butter consistency, then whip with hand mixer for 4 minutes, it makes is soft and fluffy.  The original way made it hard.  :)
Today my sister and I made lotion, lip balm, and deodorant.  If you ever look at your mile long list of ingredients on your bottles of body care, you will see it's not pretty.  The aluminum, and preservatives, and tiny traces of really bad stuff that builds up in our bodies.  A ladies skin especially is absorbent and sensitive as after we shave our glands are open, and can let those chemicals and metals in our lotion absorb more easily.  
The body butter turned out great, it is more of a butter than a lotion,  and is so nourishing.
Ingredients
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 shea butter
1/4 cup bees wax
1/4 cup almond oil or olive oil
add these ingredients to a large jar, and put in a saucepan half full of water ( double boiler) on medium heat until melted, once melted add essential oil of your choice and add to a glass jar.  It will turn solid very fast.  I added carrot seed essential oil and lavender, both are great for your skin.  



All ingredients were purchased at my local natural foods store, but also can be found online, or at whole foods, etc...
The body butter can also be used as a great diaper cream for babies, and is great when cloth diapering as most store bought creams stain them and also are NOT good for babies skin.
The lip balm was similar to the body butter,
Ingredients
1 tbls beeswax
2 tbls coconut oil
2 tbls shea butter
melt in double boiler, 
add essential oils, lemon and peppermint were good,
add to small containers or empty chapstick container.
I LOVE how this turned out, it is perfection!


Finally is the deodorant...
It turned out great, but needs to be kept in the fridge!  (not very handy, I know)  I am going to make a different kind, as I didn't like to it got soft when left out, but I DO love how it felt!
It was a combination of baking soda, corn starch, coconut oil, and essential oil, (cypress).
This turned out awesome and I will use it when I am in the kitchen! ;)  However I did see other more solid recipes, I believe the beeswax helps make them more solid.  To order great essential oils, check out edens garden.  Here is a funny picture my sister took of my trying my new deodorant!  Every thing is more fun when you act a little crazy...

 
I would love to fill my cupboards with all of this goodness!  It makes me so happy whenever I switch anything to something natural and organic.  Our bodies deserve to be cared for, I for one am suffering from unexplained numbness, tingling of hands, face and neck at times, MRIs say I am fine, but I don't think I am, I am not being dramatic, I think my body has inflammation that also causes these symptoms.  I need to make a drastic change to my health.  I juice and do other healthy things, but still have so much that I can eliminate.  If you have any great things that you make, take or love let me know!  My next venture is going to be making my own tooth paste.






No comments:

Post a Comment