Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Mini Rhubarb custard pies

I am a lover of rhubarb, but mine is not grown enough to eat yet, so when I saw it at the local market, I was anxious to make something delicious with it!  ($5/ per lb)  I was also serious about not messing my dessert up!  I always see people making cute hand pies, and pies in muffin tins, etc... So I decided to make mine in vintage ramekins.  I used a recipe I've always had for regular rhubarb pie, but added some stuff to make it custardy.

Ingredients.   4 large stalks of rhubarb chopped up  or about 1.5 lbs.
                      1 cup of sugar
                      2 eggs
                      all spice & cinnamon
                      2 Tbls flour
                     
In a large mixing bowl, coat your chopped rhubarb with 2 eggs, 1 cup of sugar, 2 Tbls flour and pinches of all spice, and cinnamon.  Once coated well, divide into 8 ramekins.





Crust: 1 3/4 cup flour
           1/2 cup veg oil
           pinch of salt
           2 Tbls cold water

combine crust in a mixing bowl, then divide into 8 balls and pat on counter, lay mini crusts on top of ramekins, tucking edges under.  Glaze crust with a beat egg and sprinkle with sugar

Bake @350 for 40 minutes, then turn oven to broil for 2 -3 minutes, (this will give your crust the golden crunchy goodness it needs!
I made this recipe twice to perfect it, the first was not a custard, this one is, and I'll never go back!  Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. Those are calling my name :) I will definitely be trying out this recipe. They look scrumptious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete