Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Crafts big and small

Craft {an activity, involving skill and making things by hand}
Crafting is something I choose to do daily! 
I realize people think crafting takes a lot of time, and sometimes a lot of money, but this does not have to be true!  I am showing you a few examples of large and small crafts we've done in my home this week, the small craft costed $2 and the large $4.  


The target dollar section has these cute pom poms and wooden tacks right now for a $1 each!  I hot glued them together.  These would make an adorable gift in a small reused and glittered box!  I've also seen similar at Anthropoligie for a lot more money!
Next small craft;  Prayer containers
I used old oatmeal containers and covered them with a sheet of paper that I printed on.  Glittered the lids, and stuck a small $1 notebook inside.  These could be given away to a friend, or put out at a random place in the public.  I think they are super cute, and would love to fill them with prayers and/or good messages for others.  Total cost $2  the glitter tape was also found at the target dollar section for $1. (I may have an obsession with gold glitter… but it does make everything prettier!)
When I want larger crafts done, I usually need to have my hubby help!  I am NOT good with a saw, I've tried to use one once with my mom, and I closed my eyes!?  So if I pick up the materials I need, and give instructions, my husband will rock something out for me with in an evening! ( eeee I just LOVE him)   The wood for these 20 x 20 frames was less than $3 for both, then we used wood glue and old stain we had.  For hangers on the back, we screwed a few small screws in and used fishing line.  If you make these, I would recommend ordering your prints mounted on boards.  Almost everywhere offers board prints, but I love Nations Photo Lab.  I also painted these old deer antlers bronze, I love the rustic touch they added to my boys' room.
The next bigger project that just got finished, is my favorite.  I found this 7 foot tall ugly rack filled with baskets, I just wanted the baskets, and almost left the old rack behind.  When I got home Jeff commented on how ugly it was, then I looked at it with excitement and said, CUT IT IN HALF!  Oh boy…. he thinks I am crazy of course.  Well I went to Menards and bought some cheap wood, $3 a board.  I wanted to turn this into bedside tables, as we have been using T.V trays.
He used wood glue to attach the wood, sanded the edges, and stained it.  These are so one of a kind, but if you remember that junk isn't always junk, you can find something similar to work with!  These crafts were so cheap, they were almost free.  You could used reclaimed wood to make your projects free, and it would add a lot more character, but I live in MN and any reclaimed wood is covered by about 3 feet of snow!  Get crafting and have fun!
Crystal


1 comment:

  1. LOVE all of those crafts...big & small! You have such an amazing talent ;)! I want to make those pom pom tacks and pic frames and night stands. Great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete