Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cucumber Herb Salad \\\ eating fresh

It's almost spring here in Minnesota, yet we had a blizzard this morning!  It's expected in March I guess, so no big deal, however I would be lying if I didn't say I am craving summer!  I know I can't have it right now, so I am starting to eat like it's summer.  I was inspired by this cucumber recipe I saw in a magazine, and decided to make it for lunch.  My littlest son Landon had a ham sandwich, as he still looks at me like I am crazy when I eat a pile of veggies. 
This takes less than 10 minutes to throw together, and it is so refreshing and healthy!   
what you'll need:
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
large pinch of salt
large pinch of pepper
1 chopped clove of garlic
2 medium cucumbers thinly sliced
1/4 red onion thinly sliced
mix the sauce together, and toss over garlic, cucumber and onion, then gently mix your herbs.  
Serve as a light lunch or a side with your dinner, either way, it will give you hope of fresh farmers markets, and sunshine!
For a colorful "summer" snack I cut up a fresh melon, pineapple and berries.  It's so pretty to photograph!  I tend to buy a lot of apples, bananas and oranges in the winter… kinda boring!  
{not so great cell phone pic, the fruit was cleared out by the time I could get my camera}

It is unfortunately costly to always eat everything fresh, but could you imagine how we would all feel if we did?  Imagine a diet of water, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, fresh fish… you get the point!  I think I may give this "diet" a whirl, because I always feel kind of sluggish, and I dislike diets where you can not eat.  I dream of feeling refreshed and energized, and fueling my body.  This is a goal for me.  Eat fresh! Let's do it together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment