Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentine's Day treats and a bit about love.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.  Galations 5:22

A huge part of sharing our love for each other is making things.  For some it is big things, like building a house, or making it into a home, others smaller like baking and cooking for each other, building swing sets for our littles to play on etc...  Since making things takes love, kindness and patience, why are we led to believe that Valentine's Day is about BUYING things?  I love flowers, don't get me wrong, but these jewelry commercials can take a hike!  (that's what birthdays are for) heehee, only kidding, I'm kind of not into expensive jewelry, as I prefer cute costume jewelry from target, etsy and on rare occasion jcrew and anthro.  Anyway,   when we were little it felt so great to give homemade gifts, so when did that feeling end?  For me I don't think it has,  I love making, baking, and all things re-used.  My point is, I hope we can show our loved ones more peace, love, kindness, gentleness, and LESS commercialized things.  For Jeff I grabbed his favorite licorice candy at fleet farm because I found his stash and ate it, so I felt guilty...  I also baked him delicious sugar cookies with butter cream cheese frosting.  He will be thrilled, and I loved making them.  I do NOT have self control when these are around.  
Super soft sugar cookie recipe
1 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1.5 tsp almond or vanilla extract

Combine above ingredients in bowl

3 cups flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
mix these ingredients together and combine with sugar mixture 
measure flour carefully or you will have dry dough.
roll out dough on wax paper, and use a canning jar lid to cut into thick circles.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  

Frosting
1 stick butter softened
4 oz cream cheese softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 drops food coloring
2-3 cups powder sugar
mix together and frost

I have never refrigerated my cream cheese frosting, it is always fine for a day.  I googled it and you get both sides of the story!  Enjoy!

My son and niece in my studio! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment